Nothing but blue sky... A blend of thoughts, poetry, lyrics, travel anecdotes, anything that comes to mind mid-air, mid-stream, mid-thought about to take off ~ ...thoughts in flight

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Clammering for Denim



Starting a couple weeks ago in the SF Weekly paper, I noticed an ad for a blow-out denim sale, jeans at wholesale 1/2-off prices galore with a $3 door charge unless you RSVP or bring the newspaper ad - it was serious! So I was determined to check it out! It started at 10 AM this morning, and the location is right up the street literally, completely convenient so I trotted up at 10 sharp. Hordes of women (and a few guys) were lined up for the this sale occasion already (I knew I should've gotten here earlier!). I got in line mystified by all the people wondering what was in store for us sipping Peet's coffee chatting it up making new friends.

They let us in in groups slowly steadily trickling in and then attacking the size 25 to 30-something sized racks and racks of designer jeans cut down in price from $50 to $150. We grabbed, thumbed, and attacked racks of jeans and then headed toward the one big room of a dressing room with a few strategically-placed mirrors. Jeans were flying, asses were hanging out, we all did the tight jean jump as we all hoped and pulled our jeans over our hips and "junk" - ha! I tried on size 26 jeans - ack! I could only get one out of four pairs over my hips (and junk). I ran out again to scour the racks again!

Size 27 - ok, grab, clammer, I have 7 pairs! Back in line! Some girls didn't even bother with the dressing room and were dropping trow right next to the racks not caring that there were a few male customers trying to shop too catching glimpses out of the corners of their eyes - ha! It was all quite a spectacle! I saw one girl trying on jeans under a loose-fitting short dress - she's gone to one of these before, she's experienced - ok, next time I'll do that, note to self! As I looked around at the slightly wild looks in my fellow-jean-shopping female eyes, I realized that we're all just a little bit crazy for being here. Ha! Ah, I got into the dressing room! I found a spot up against the wall so I could brace myself as I tried to shimmy my bootie into all my pairs of jeans.

Jump, jump, jump, pull, twirl in front of the mirror, no no no. Next! 4 pairs - nope, nope! Ooo, this one looks and feels good - hmmm...ok, that's one. Nope, nope, nope. Well! I found ONE pair!! Yay!! I don't even know how much it is as there is no price on the tag...k, check out the pricing chart - $50 for a BCBG pair of jeans, not bad not bad. Scurry over to the check-out line and buy. Wooo! Grab my purchase and head out the door quickly peering over to the entry line of 100s of girls still trying to get in. I wonder what they'll find inside because most everything's been picked through or are lying on the floor waiting to go back on the racks, rejects. Good luck, I hope you find the right "one" or "ones"!

Until the next sale! Wheee!!